The Village of Chapeltown
Chapeltown is an attractive moorland village of Tudor and 18th century stone cottages, situated five miles north-east of Bolton on the B6391. The main axis of the village is High Street with the Chetham Arms – an 18th-century hostelry, and Old School House (sometimes referred to as Chapel House). There are Stocks and a Cross situated in the Rest Garden at the northern end of High Street, the whole street being designated as a conservation area.
This area has many good pubs/restaurants and is a favourite for walkers.
Modern football was introduced to the North West of England by Turton Football Club in 1871. Its inaugural general meeting was held in the old school in December of that year. The club now has their own ground on Thomason Fold, behind Bolton Road, Edgworth.
Turton Bowling club in Chapeltown is also very active situated behind the old Conservative Club on Wellington Road.