Village Institute Bowling Club
Edgworth Bowling Green was opened in 1900 which pre-dated the opening of
the Barlow Institute and celebrated its centenary last in the Millennium
Year 2000. Work commenced on the bowling green in 1898.
The Edgworth Bowling Green was opened in 1900 which pre-dated the opening of the Barlow Institute and celebrated its centenary last in the Millennium Year 2000. Work commenced on the bowling green in 1898.
|Edgworth Bowling Club Fixtures Page||
The game of Crown Green Bowls, has been played on the Edgworth green over the past century providing a social and sporting venue for a wide range of bowlers both locally and from surrounding districts.
The basic game of Crown Green Bowls, whilst simple on nature, requires a high degree of skill and concentration to become proficient. It is interesting to note that the basic rules have remained unchanged over the years and are quite easily understood having an appeal for players of all age groups, both male and female and is one of the few sports where ladies can compete on equal terms against men.
The Edgworth Bowling Club currently participates in two competitive leagues. The Turton League which is a men only league and in which we have one team, and the Ramsbottom league which is a mixed league and in which we have two teams.
In addition to competing in the leagues, club competitions are held throughout the season with cash prizes and trophies for the winners.
Since the transformation of the Barlow Institute Charity Scheme, the club now have a project in hand for the building on a new bowls pavilion on an area of land to the south-east of the green leased to the club by the new Trustees of the Barlow Institute Management Committee. It is hoped that this new building will be completed soon.
If you require any further information please contact Mike Barnwell (secretary) on 01204 856918