Historical Buildings in Belmont

 

Ryecroft House, High Street, Belmont

Ryecroft House, Belmont
(
High Street)

Early 19th century mill owner's house. A curious feature is that the East Lancashire fault runs under the middle of the house and its effect are clearly apparent in the cellars.

The house was built soon after 1800 by a Mr. Ryecroft who started Belmont works for the block printing of cotton goods. It is of simple design, a good and attractive example of its period.

Belmont Dyeing and Bleaching Works, Belmont

Thomas Ryecroft started a print works here in 1800; it is marked on the 1844-7 6-inch Ordnance Survey map.

The oldest part of the present works lies to the left of Egerton Road, shortly after its turn-off from the Belmont road. At one point the remains of an early manager’s house can be seen built into the works. This is a typical example of a bleach or dye works in Lancashire, built by a stream in a valley bottom. The stone walls, slate roof and the highly functional design fit well into the countryside.

Belmont Dyeing and Bleaching Works

Bromiley Farm, Belmont

Bromiley Farm, Belmont

The house is probably of 17th century origin. Lawrence Wright, Squire of Belmont, who owned the farm, lived here while his house, Hill Top, was built towards the end of the 18th century. He added to Bromiley Farm the part which includes the long windows. On the second floor is a ballroom. The tablet above the windows in the gable end is dated 1779, presumably the date of the alterations.

An older building dated 1689 stood nearby and in Wright’s day was used as a cottage for tenants. It is now demolished or about to be.

The most interesting features of the house are the windows which are of various styles and irregular disposition. In the south front wall at first floor level there is a three light stone mullioned window and two small simple timber casement windows. There is an off-centre but symmetrical arrangement of well-proportioned double lancet windows with triangular heads at each side of the main door, which also has a triangular head. These openings have slim projecting stone surrounds which give a faintly ecclesiastical air to the facade.

Bromiley Farm, Belmont

We would like to acknowledge the original Turton Committe of the Bolton and District Civic Trust for the records and some of the photos of the buildings listed on this web page.

The Standard MIDI File now playing is entitled "Kontretanz" by Mozart and is the copyright of Roland (UK) Ltd

 

[Home]