Historical Buildings in Chapeltown

 

Old School House, High Street, Chapeltown (now called Chapeltown House)

Old School House
(sometimes known as Chapel House)

(99 High Street, Chapeltown)

 

Formerly the school and the school house. The house is in front, the school behind.

In a report on the Lancashire Charities, made to the House of Commons in 1840, this school is described as 'an ancient school in this township (Chapeltown) to which is appropriate a dwelling house for the use of the master and a school room but it is not known from whom these premises were derived.'  The school, school house and right of patronage then belonged to Mr. H. Seymour Hoare's estate.*  When the 'New School', presumably St. Anne's Turton, was built lower down than St. Anne's Church, the old school ceased to be used. It is now a dwelling house and is called the "Old School House". There are reports that the first teacher of the school was dated back in 1689 but actual reference to the house was in 1713.

The proportions of the front elevation are excellent, the asymmetrical position of the doorway being notable. The detail of the stone kneelers to the pediment is an unusual feature and the whole design is more ornate and detailed than that of the surrounding property.

* Mr. Hoare was a descendant of the Chethams and this suggests the school was founded by one of that family.

Old School House, High Street, Chapeltown (now called Chapeltown House) - taken 2000

The Chetham Arms
(18th Century Hostelry)

On the building is a datestone, 1746, with the Chetham coat of arms and the initials H.C. of Humphrey Chetham, a collateral descendant of the earlier and better-known Humphrey Chetham who had bought the manor of Turton in 1628. The manor court was held here in the latter part of its history, probably from 1746.

Up to 1823 the inn was known as the Black Bull, and it appears to have been formed from two or three buildings. To judge from the presence of straight joints the window openings to the right of the door have been altered. Though a little spoilt by the varying styles of its window frames, it is a building of considerable character.

There are hanging brackets on the outside walls and inside you will find many old photographs of the local area lining the walls of each room.

Chetham Arms, High Street, Chapletown

Chetham Arms, High Street, Chapletown (taken 2000)

Chetham Farmhouse (17th Century)

Chetham Farm House
(89 High Street, Chapeltown)

This was the local inn before the building of the Chetham Arms in 1746. It was also a farm known as Pilkington's, 17th century in date. It is spoilt to some extent by the introduction of modern fascia board and rainwater gutter on the front elevation.

75 High Street, Chapeltown

Possibly the oldest building in Chapeltown, and not observing a building line. In the 19th century it was known as "Tower Fields" and it then possessed 5 acres of land. Its name suggests a link with the former Lord of the Manor, not now apparent but perhaps going back to the medieval period.

The house is 16th or 17th century to date. It is well designed with simple symmetrical proportions and is built of local stone.

Possibly the oldest house in Chapeltown (75 High Street, Chapeltown)

The Old Parsonage, Overhouses

Built by Samuel Chetham, who became Lord of the Manor of Turton in 1714 and who was an elder brother of the second Humphrey. The Chetham coat of arms and the date 1714 are on the house. Samuel Chetham procured Queen Anne's Bounty for Turton Chapel, which was later pulled down and rebuilt as St.Annes Church Turton.

The Parsonage is one of the larger domestic buildings in the area, having simple window detailings and good proportions. It still remains its grey stone slate roof today.

 

Fogg's Cottage, Overhouses

An 18th century farmhouse. A Mr. Thomas Fogg lived here in 1756 (he possibly gave the farmhouse its name) and was fined 30/- (shillings) at the Turton Manor Court for non-repair of his lane.

A good example of a Lancashire farmhouse. The design is simple and functional, the stone is local.

Spring Bank, Overhouses

Spring Bank, Overhouses

The Rev. James Spencer, Vicar of St. Anne's, Chapeltown, was living here in 1851, which seems to suggest that the Old Parsonage had by this time been abandoned as a Vicarage.

The house has a simple and well-proportioned front elevation, stone gutters, and is typical of its period (early Victorian).

 

We would like to acknowledge the original Turton Committe of the Bolton and District Civic Trust for the records and some of the photos of the buildings listed on this web page.

The Standard MIDI File now playing is entitled "Minuet 2" by Mozart and is the copyright of Roland (UK) Ltd

[Home]